Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the continuing education requirements for the IRS Annual Filing Season Program for tax preparers?
2. Do courses from TaxPreparersCE.com qualify for credit from the IRS?
3. Do courses from TaxPreparersCE.com qualify for credit from CTEC?
4. How often are credits reported to the IRS?
5. Are there any additional fees to complete my courses, such as exam grading fees?
6. What format are the courses presented in?
7. How do I complete a course after purchasing?
8. Can I save my answers in the middle of an exam and return to it later?
9. What happens if I don't pass an exam on my first try?
10. Can I view the questions I missed on an exam?
11. Can I complete my courses on an iPad?
12. Why is there a time limit for the AFTR exam?
13. I used TaxPreparersCE.com for my education in the past, do I need to create a new account again?
14. How can I upgrade from the 15-hour package to the 18-hour package?
Tax preparers are required to complete either 15 or 18 hours of continuing education in 2017 to be eligible for the 2018 Annual Filing Season Program Record of Completion. The full requirements can be found here.
Yes, TaxPreparersCE.com is an IRS-approved CE provider and our courses qualify for credit for the Annual Filing Season Program. Courses offered by TaxPreparersCE.com are not offered for credit to CPAs, EAs, or other license designations.
No. TaxPreparersCE.com is no longer a CTEC-Registered provider and our courses will not satisfy any CTEC (California Tax Education Council) continuing education requirements.
During December, credits are reported to the IRS on a daily basis (Monday - Friday). For the remainder of the year, credits are reported on a weekly basis.
No, there are no additional fees to complete your continuing education. The purchase price is all-inclusive.
All courses from TaxPreparersCE.com are self-study courses with PDF course materials and online exams. If you desire, you may print the PDF file once it is downloaded. There will be two buttons on the My Account page next to the course title after purchasing:
Clicking the Download Course Materials button will download a PDF document to your computer/tablet with the course materials and relevant information.
Clicking Take Exam will take you to the final exam for that course which must be completed to receive your certificate.
After purchasing, your courses will be listed under "Courses in Progress" in My Account, and you will be able to download the course materials as well as access final exams from this page.
To receive credit for each course you must pass the final exam with a score of at least 70%. After passing the final exam, the course will move to "Completed Courses" in My Account and there will be a link to view and print your certificate.
Yes. You can click the "Save Progress" button on the exam page to save your answers and return to the exam at a later.
Note: This is not available for the AFTR exam. The AFTR exam must be completed within 3 hours of beginning the exam.
You can retake each final exam as many times as needed. The course will remain in "Courses in Progress" in My Account until you pass the exam. To retake an exam click the Take Exam button.
Yes, only after passing the exam. After passing an exam an Incorrect Answers link will be displayed in My Account for 7 days under the Get Certificate button. This feature is not available for the AFTR exam.
Yes, all aspects of our courses are compatible with iPads. Course materials can be downloaded to iBooks on your iPad for easy reading and exams can be completed online via your iPad.
IRS regulations require that the AFTR test consist of 100 questions and be completed within 3 hours of beginning the exam. A timer on the exam page will show how much time is remaining before the exam is automatically submitted.
TaxPreparersCE.com launched a brand new website in September 2014, customers who purchased on the old website will need to set up a new account when making their purchase. Customers who completed the AFSP requirements with TaxPreparersCE.com after September 1, 2014 do not need to set up a new account.
If you purchased the 15-hour AFTR-Exempt package and later realized that you need the 18-hour package with the AFTR course included, you can upgrade for $15. Click here to upgrade your package.